Thomas Memorial Hospital offers family-centered care, compassionate and supportive staff and physicians–and a warm welcome to every new family. Having a baby is a joyous time but also a private time! When you come in and have your baby, you’ll have your own private room. We know that family is important, so these rooms are family-friendly.
We offer quiet time daily from 2-4 pm to allow new parents to rest and bond with their new addition. In addition to the all private rooms on our Obstetrics and Mother-Baby Unit, we also have six large Labor & Delivery Rooms, two well equipped Obstetrics Operating Rooms, a Transitional Care Nursery and a level II Special Care Nursery/NICU. Professional Photography is also available to provide studio-style portraits right in the comfort of your hospital room – see the link below. Childbirth classes are available and highly recommended for new parents! Our childbirth Instructors are fun & professional Labor and Delivery RN’s, who have a passion for teaching. Come join in the fun and learn all you need to know about:
- Preparing for childbirth
- Natural Labor vs. Induction of Labor
- Pain Management including Relaxation Techniques
- Role of the support person and tips for helping mom
- Breastfeeding and Kangaroo Care
- Infant Care/Infant CPR
- Q&A with a Pediatrician
- Tour of Labor & Delivery Unit
Third Saturday of every month from 9 am-3:30 pm Call to register at (304) 414-6130 or (304) 766-3971. Cost $60 per couple ~ includes educational materials & 2 meals for both participants
Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome Unit Facts
- New 8 bed NAS Special Care Unit “BabySTEPS” will help babies and their families recover one step at a time through Sensitive Treatment, Education and Parenting Support (STEPS). The design will incorporate warm home-like features including overnight beds, a family gathering space, kitchenette and an educational learning environment
- Kanawha Valley’s first hospital-based neonatal abstinence syndrome special care unit dedicated to babies born with drug exposure.
- 8 total new beds.
- Each patient room is equipped with a bedside table, rocking chair, infant crib and infant motion seat, called Mamaroo.
- 4 of the patient rooms will include a twin sleeper sofa for the caregiver able to provide 24-hour care for the infant.
- Family Conference Room for consultations with nursing staff and physicians.
- Thomas Health Foundation Campaign Donation: $250,000.
- Our specially-trained volunteer Cuddlers are available to swing, rock, cuddle, bounce, sway, pat or just hold a baby. This service is especially valuable for NAS babies. These volunteers hold babies, rock them to sleep and give them a human connection when parents are not there.
The Foundation for Thomas Health made a pledge of support for $250,000 toward the NAS Special Care Unit.
Thank the Foundation’s Board of Directors and Leadership. The following donors have made a major gift to The Foundation toward this priority area of funding:
- Mr. Ray Park.
- Dow Inc.
- Thomas Memorial Hospital Auxiliary.
- The Foundation is seeking additional gifts with $25,000 minimum for naming opportunities in the new unit.